Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Cancer Support and Services

             Over the years I have seen many friends and family members affected by cancer as you know. What I found astonishing during their treatments was the variety of support groups and non-profit organizations which offer services to those affected by cancer. American Cancer Society is a wonderful organization across the United States that focuses on fighting for a cure for cancer. I have worked as an intern at American Cancer Society in the past and it was a wonderful experience. Walking into the office every day and seeing the passion each and every employee has is truly inspiring. The time and effort which is put into fundraising, planning events, and public relations efforts is beyond belief.
         Working at American Cancer society I was exposed to various programs which they have for women and men diagnosed with cancer. I was shocked to see how many programs that had! I never knew that many of these wonderful services ACS offers existed. Services and programs that are offered to the cancer community are listed below.

1. Reach to Recover
2. Road to Recovery
3. Look Good Feel Better
4. Man to Man Support Group
5. I Can Cope
6. Workplace Wellness Programs
7. Hospital Collaborations
8. Patient Navigation
         After looking back at these programs I kept thinking I hope that women and men across our nation are taking advantage of these programs. I would love to hear from anyone who has and what their experience was.
        When one of my family members was diagnosed with cancer I remember her having information regarding services and support; however, I remember her having this sense of reluctance to take advance of them. If you have been affected by cancer have you had this same feeling of reluctance?

No comments:

Post a Comment