Monday, April 30, 2012

Aunts are Angels Following you Through Life

          What is your passion? what makes you happy? Ever since I was a little girl I have always loved working with others. When I began to lose my family members to cancer, Cancer Awareness truly became a passion of mine. In High School and College I always worked to raise money for the American Cancer Society and other cancer organizations. However,  when I was a junior in college My Aunt Patty was diagnosed with lung cancer, one of the most devastating moments for our family. At this time I was planning to study abroad and I did not want to go and leave my Aunt behind going through the most difficult time in her life. That was not an option though, if I stayed home my Aunt Patty would have kicked my butt!
          When I was living in Italy I would call and Skype with my Aunt all the time.  Seeing the changes she was going through from her treatment made me worry, but talking to her I would never have known she even had cancer. Her positive attitude and humor did not change what so ever!
        The night before I came home to NY (Italy time I was on the plane) my Aunt Patty went into the hospital. I returned home not knowing what had happened and wanting to run to see Aunt Patty and tell her all about my time in Italy. However, things became worse and I lost my Aunt. I never truly got to say goodbye, one of my biggest fears had happened I had lost my Aunt Patty, an unimaginable moment in my life. I loved my Aunt Patty more then anything. The two year anniversary of my Aunt Patty's passing is coming up and I still cannot believe she is not here with me. I always find myself picking up the phone to call her or expect to see her joke emails in my inbox. I miss her laugh, her smile, I miss my Aunt Patty. Ever since my Aunt passed, I tried to understand why, why did this happen? Now two years later, I no longer ask why I keep asking myself how, how can I make her proud and help other women affected by cancer.
        My Aunt is my inspiration, I have always had a passion for Cancer Awareness; however, since her passing I have found myself having my school work in college and now in my Master's program focusing on cancer awareness. I miss her everyday but seeing her cancer journey inspired me to further find a way to help women affected by cancer. I miss my Aunt Patty everyday, but knowing she is looking down on me probably yelling JORDANA MARIE! haha or laughing at something I did keeps me going.

Love You Aunt Patty


3 comments:

  1. It's Really Helpful Information Sharing! I hope it can also help you more. HotStoneCommunications.Com offers Healthcare Public Relations Services at Reasonable Price.You can contact with them to know the prices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jordana,

    I have a quick question for you regarding your blog, but I couldn't find your contact information. Do you think you could send me an email whenever you get a chance?

    Thanks,

    Cameron

    cameronvsj(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete